Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Christmas Season

This time of year is festive and celebratory. I relish it because I love to show people how I care for them, through gifts and goodies, and spending time with people I care about. I look forward to the celebration of Christ's Birth, and the carols and music, and it is often a time of joy and reflection for me. This year, the money is tighter than I ever remember it being, the children are older than they have ever been, and the gifts are more expensive. I find that I am a little caught up in the materialism of X-mas this year, rather than the Gift of Love that came at Christmas. I feel afraid that this will be the year everyone remembers as the "year with no good presents." I so want it to be the year that we showed love and enjoyed the blessings we have, and shared with others, and learn that it's not about the presents under the tree.

I write this to give myself a pep-talk, and remind myself (and anyone else who reads this and needs a reminder themselves) what this Season is really all about...

"But the Angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.' " Luke 2: 10-11

"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

"It came without boxes! It came without Tags. It came without packages, boxes, or bags!...Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store! Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more....." Dr. Seuss

No comments: