Monday, December 15, 2008

Grateful

Things are good.

Even though it's frightfully cold outside, I was able to send my family out today in warm wooly things that I knit with my own two hands:



I whipped up a funny hat this weekend. Well, if it wasn't sub-zero cold outside, it would be a funny hat, but in this weather, it's a good, warm, practical hat that happens to look a bit, well, funny...















Pattern: "Maltese Fisherman's Hat" from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
Yarn: Rowan Country, 2 balls and a small amount of leftover Blue Moon Fiber Arts Icelandic in Star Sapphire for the trim.
Needles: Size 11 16"circular and set of dpns.

I love making these hats, they are quick, but interesting to knit. You can have some fun with color, because to me, that pointy shape just invites a little bit of silliness.

What else is good? Christmas goodies! I have been baking up a storm. And making fudge. Do you want my recipe?

Marshmallow Cream Fudge

  • 1 jar Marshmallow Cream
  • 1 1/2 cups Sugar
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Bring the above to a full, rolling boil in a saucepan. (Use a bigger pan than you think you need, because it grows and foams while it cooks.) Boil at a full boil for 5 minutes. (at sea level. At High Altitude, I boil it for 5 minutes and 30 seconds. ) Remove from heat.

Quickly add:
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 bag of Chocolate Chips (or Peanut Butter Chips, or Butterscotch, or White Chocolate chips)
  • Nuts if you want

Stir until smooth and melted. Pour into buttered 8" or 9" Square pan. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until firm.

I'm off to listen to Christmas music, and read while the laundry washes. I'm reading a really interesting book, I can't wait to tell you about it.

No comments: