Monday, August 25, 2008

A Sweater, A Book, and the First Day of School

Hooray and Hallelujah! Today is like a holiday for me...it's the First Day of School! It's the end of working weekends to save money on childcare for the summer. It's the end of listening to bickering children all day. I love the first day of school. Do you hear that? It's the sound of my children being somewhere else for a whole 7 hours.

I have made some good progress on the February Lady Sweater:

After making at least 3 unfortunate errors of knitting and another 3 unfortunate errors in judgement regarding the correction of the errors, I have had to rip out the yoke and lace three times. I finally have it right, and now it's going pretty quickly.

See the Gull Lace, isn't it pretty?







I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for tackling this project and sticking with it, even through all the mis-counting and lace errors. It is going to be a lovely sweater, I hope, and worth all the troubles.




I also finished reading The Sister by Poppy Adams. This is the story of a family, specifically the relationship between two sisters, as told from the point of view of Ginny, an eccentric elderly woman. The plot of the book had several surprises, and it was interesting to see how the two women remembered their life events so differently. I enjoyed it...it was interesting and the characters were engaging, and the story line was definitely not predictable. It was definitely not light reading, and took me longer to read than I expected, but it was definitely worth the time.

No comments: