Tuesday, August 19, 2008

False Starts

If knitting the February Lady Sweater was an Olympic Event, I would have been disqualified for false starts. I am getting burned out on sock-knitting, and it got kind of chilly last week, so the thought came to mind that I would like to knit myself a sweater. I even had enough yarn on hand to make one...9 balls of Cascade 220 Superwash just sitting there in my stash.

Night before last, I cast on happily, after actually making a 2 real-live gauge swatches and determining that I needed a size 7 needle. Unfortunately, I was increasing on the wrong side of the stitch-markers and creating triangular gussets rather than the nice line of a Raglan sleeve. So I ripped that out and restarted yesterday. I got about halfway through the yoke, and discovered that I apparently have forgotten how to count, and my now-correctly-knit Raglan increases were not spaced correctly. So I started again.

This is as far as I've gotten this morning. My increase columns are actually straight, and I know my sections contain the correct number of stitches because I sat down last night with the pattern and figured it out on paper.










My goal is to get through with the yoke today and hopefully to start the lace pattern tomorrow. Unfortunately, my children and their need for clean clothing, food, and school supplies will most likely cut into my knitting time. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: