Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Reading: Trauma by Patrick McGrath

I just this minute finished reading Trauma by Patrick McGrath, and I needed to spend a moment to reflect what I just read.

The book is the story of a Psychiatrist who treats patients with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, the way that his career has an effect on his relationships, as well as the way that his life and his past effect his current situation and practice. It's a psychological thriller in many ways, with a mystery that unravels throughout the book, as well as the story of family and romantic relationships, and how they shape him and are shaped by his experiences.

Initially, I felt the book had gotten off to a slow start, but as the story went on, it became more and more engaging and I was less able to put it down. I think that this perception of slowness at first came from the fact that the author is a master of foreshadowing, so as the story goes on you start realizing that things earlier were important clues to the mystery that you didn't even realize existed at the beginning. Although it is disturbing and somewhat graphic at times, I highly recommend this book. It's exciting and thought-provoking.

For more good summer reading, you can see suggestions here.

No comments: