Sunday, June 15, 2008

Finished!

Look, I finished those summery socks I was making for my daughter:


I used Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's "Basic Sock Recipe" from Knitting Rules. I had a lot of fun making them, mostly because my eldest daughter has large feet for her age, and often feels left out of the footwear fun because it's so difficult to find her age-appropriate (pre-teen) shoes and pretty socks in her size (Ladies Size 11). These fit her absolutely perfectly.

Here's how I did it:
Yarn: Online Summer Cotton Color in color #1049 (I'm about 99% sure of the color number, but I lost the ballband)

Needles: Size 1 Knitpicks Nickel-plated dpns. (I love making socks on double-points. And these needles are especially nice to work with, in my opinion.)

Recipe: I cast on 72 stitches, at a gauge of about 8 1/2 stitches per inch. I made 2 inches of 2 x 2 ribbing, and then made 8 inches of leg. I used the Eye of Partridge Heel instructions, which I had never tried. I like the way it looks, but I had trouble keeping track of which row I was knitting, so I'll probably just do a good old slip-stitch heel flap from now on. Then I made 8 1/4 inches of foot before doing the standard flat toe. The sock is about 9 3/4" long in total. I ended when I had 32 stitches left and grafted the end. Her feet are a little squarish, so those toes are perfect for her. If I was making socks for my more narrow feet, I would have decreased some more.

This yarn (Online Summer Cotton Color) made very lovely and soft fabric. I think these socks are pretty much "seasonless" and she can enjoy wearing them a lot. I only found one knot in the whole 400+ yard ball. And this yarn has such generous yardage that even after making some large women's socks that aren't short at all, I can still probably make a preemie hat out of the leftover yarn. And it certainly is soft enough to be a baby hat. I definitely recommend it if you want some cottony wool socks.

And look! More roses bloomed this weekend:

No comments: