Saturday, February 17, 2007

Center Square Hat


I needed a break from all the sock-knitting I've been doing lately, and after purchasing a stash of Paton's Classic Merino last week at a good price, I decided to try the Center Square Hat from Knitty, since I also already had the size 11 16" circular needle and matching dpns.

It was my first attempt at Fair-Isle, and I really enjoyed it. I do need to figure out how to do the stranding without so much twisting, it seemed I needed to unwind the different balls of yarn from each other quite frequently.

I was amazed at how quicky this hat came together. I worked on it for 1 movie, 2 sitcoms, and while waiting for my daughter's 1-hour ballet class. I will definitely keep this in mind as a truly last-minute gift, and a good one for those low-yarn-budget times: the yarn was on sale for only $3.99 per ball and I am pretty sure I have enough yarn left to make another hat. I also plan on making one from some Wool-Ease I have in Red and Off-White and donate it to the Red Ribbon Hat Project.

No comments: