Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

Today at 10am Mountain Time, a group of nurses and other hospital staff stood around a patient's TV and watched the Inauguration of Barack Obama. During the invocation and Obama's inaugural address, you could have heard a pin drop in the hospital. It was a respectfully hushed 30 minutes that I will always remember.

I do not remember a moment where people stood together in awe of history this way, and there was unity and patriotism all around. We stood together, teary-eyed, all for our own reasons, although we all have different ideas of "the issues", we felt a great togetherness as Americans. I imagine that this was a pervasive feeling everywhere today. I pray that today is the beginning of the end of America as a group of Us and Them. I hope that this feeling of hopefulness and togetherness stays with us for a long time.

No comments: