Monday, September 22, 2008

Summer Reading: Petite Anglaise by Catherine Sanderson

Yes, I know it's officially Fall! I finished this book on September 19th, so it was still "summer reading" to me. This is another book recommended by NPR on their Summer Reading Recommendations List. I'm glad I found these recommendations...I wound up reading things that I would not otherwise have tried.

**Please Note: The following post may contain "spoilers" about the book**

Petite Anglaise is the memoir of an English woman living in Paris with her boyfriend and their daughter. Life was hard, and love was less exciting for her, and so she started to blog about her experiences. Her blog became very popular and began getting hundreds of "regular" readers and commenters, ultimately leading to a real-life romantic connection with man who read her blog.

The book was written more like a "chick-lit" novel than a memoir, which I liked. My reading this summer has actually been kind of intellectually strenuous, as far as reading for relaxation goes, and although I've enjoyed it a lot, it was good for a little break. Her story is interesting, for sure. It inspires me that someone would leave her home country and go make a life in a new place and learn to speak a new language because she loved Paris and was determined to live there. (Why am I having such a hard time deciding whether or not to go on to Graduate School?!?) To be honest, I was irritated with her at times, too...cheating on your mate is never acceptable as far as I'm concerned. If you don't love someone, have the guts to break up with them before you go sleeping with someone else! It was interesting how her life and blog began to intertwine, and how she grew in (and out of) her relationships.

Overall, I enjoyed this one a lot. Some romance, some sadness, some blogging, some funny stories about her kid... it was a good read.

No comments: