Monday, September 29, 2008

Free Range Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

This weekend was turning out to be sort of a bummer, since my hubby was away for his High School Reunion, and although I love my kids, they sort of suck the life out of me after several days without another adult in the house. We wound up at the mall, killing some time, and there was Free Range Knitter, the new title by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka the Yarn Harlot.) Of course, I had to buy it, and my weekend immediately improved.

I really enjoyed this one. I like that she can find such great insights about life and parenting within the realm of knitting. (If you are not a knitter, you are going to think that is a crazy statement, but you'll have to go with me here...) I like how she discusses the traits of her friends, and their knitting experiences and what they mean to her. These essays made the budding writer in me want to try to write my own essays about the wonderful people in my life, if not for publication then just for the process of it. I was especially touched by the accounts of her daughters' and her great-aunt Helen's knitting experiences. Her friend's struggle with depression was very poignant to me, having recently dealt with that on a personal level, and made me wish I'd thought of a garter-stitch blanket as therapy.

There were many humorous essays as well, and they were blended nicely so you had some reflection and then some laughter to balance everything out. I laughed out loud at the explanation of how to knit a hat if you are 12 years old, and the letter to Nana. My son said "Mom, I didn't know that knitting is so funny!"

This is definitely a book to add to your collection if you are a knitter. Not only is it good quality reading, but it will give you some written proof that you are not the most obsessive knitter on earth, and not alone in your knitting "Lifestyle."

No comments: