Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Five Minutes of Wonderful

I continue to knit, but my camera is broken and I can't show you. Things have been a little uncertain and a little rocky around here lately, but things are evening out now I believe.

I just finished reading Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult. What a wonderful book. It is the story of a family who is separated and reunited, and the events that occured and discoveries that they made on the journey to coming back to each other again. I love how it is written from the point of view of 5 different characters, and the way the story weaves together through chapters which are not in chronological order. It gave insight into what the characters were thinking and experiencing and also made the reader think about what was happening and how it fit into the rest of the events. Not only is it a great story, but it is very intelligently written

"...I'll go home and be the ideal wife, the perfect mother. I'll do everything I've been doing and I won't ever bring this up again. I'll live the most ordinary life there ever was, just as long as you promise me that I'll get five minutes of wonderful before it's all over." (from Songs of the Humpback Whale)

The above quote made me think...what are MY five minutes of wonderful?

There are the ones that are so wonderful they are difficult to describe, such as looking into the eyes of my babies when they were moments old. That realization that the world is forever changed because there is a new, fresh person in it who brings something special that only they can bring .

There was the moment I realized that I would marry my husband. I was 16 and he was 18, and I saw him standing in his parents' living room by the Christmas Tree and I just knew inexplicably that we were going to be together forever without question. That was wonderful.

There was the time I was invited by my friend to attend a rehearsal of the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus. Even though it was only October, they were practicing for the Christmas Concert, and that music and their beautiful harmonies were like a gift that came unexpectedly. The men were so friendly and welcoming, and I felt so priveleged to attend. I suspect that most married housewives from suburbia will not have the opportunity to be a guest at such a rehearsal.

There was the Grand Canyon...I distinctly remember standing there thinking how small we are, and how big God is to create such a marvelous place as that.

I am grateful for my many, many moments of "Wonderful."

No comments: