Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Two More Hats

I'm realizing that hats are my "thing" this winter...they knit up fast and many people need them. I'm thinking that I may need to call for a moratorium on hats for a while, though, since there are only a finite number of people with heads in my family, and an apparently infinite number of very cool hat patterns.

Here are the latest entries in the Hat Parade:


Pattern: An Unoriginal Hat by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee


Yarn: 2 Strands Lamb's Pride Bulky, one Rust and one Aran; Less than 1 skein of each.


Needles: Size 11


This fabric is very dense and it hurt my hands to knit with this yarn/needles combination. In the end, though, it's a very warm and water-repellent hat. If I did this again, I'd use two less contrasting colors.

This one is for my husband, who needed a warm hat that covered his ears.

Pattern: Basic Hats pattern from Knitsimple Magazine, Holiday 2006 issue. This is a great pattern with different brim styles, gauges and sizes given. This is the roll-brim, man's size hat

Yarn: Noro Kureyon, color 195. A tad more than 1 skein. I had to add the new ball at the crown. This is a great colorway for men. The blue is more navy than the picture shows, and that stripe in between the two black stripes is a heathery brown, not the pinkish color that it looks like.

Needles: US Size 7 (brim), Size 8 (hat)

Modifications: I added an extra 1 1/2" to the body of the hat before the crown decreases to ensure the hat would go all the way over his ears. My gauge was a bit big, and it's about an inch more around than it should have been. But that's OK, because he has a big melon. But don't tell him I said so.

No comments: