Monday, January 29, 2007

Decluttering!



I have a problem with keeping my home clean. (see photo at right) No, that's not entirely true. I have a BIG problem with keeping my home even the slightest bit organized. So as of now, and you are all my witnesses to this statement, I am going to take baby steps toward organization and de-cluttering. (Thank you Flylady!) I am going to use my own adaptation of the system recommended by Marla Cilley in her book Sink Reflections and just do it! And, to keep myself accountable, I will post about how it's all going.

My first realization about myself and my home-making, is that I want to do everything PERFECTLY, and if it's not going to be PERFECT in the time I have to do it, I just don't start. So I have started keeping a little notebook with me, and jotting down all the things that I accomplish during the day. In the past, I felt that if I wasn't cleaning, I wasn't doing anything, and instead spent a lot of energy beating myself up. Well, I'm awfully busy with a full-time job, three kids with extra-curricular activities and a husband who also has a life and a schedule, not to mention trying to stay fit and do my part to help out in the world.

Writing down things like:
  • spent 35 minutes making menu for the week and a shopping list
  • 1 hr buying groceries
  • load of laundry
  • knit 2" of sock
etc, etc,etc. has really helped me see where my time goes and also validate that I really do a lot, even if my home is not as spotless as I would like in my "super-mom" fantasy world. (I would highly recommend to anyone who feels overwhelmed and as if she is "not doing enough" to do this notebook trick. You will realize how much you do, and realize that you ARE very important to your family.)

That said, my home has far to go to be running the way I want it to, and I think that this blog will help hold me accountable for sticking to the "baby steps." I want a welcoming home that I can have guests into, and a system for keeping my family on track for less chaotic mornings and evening. Wish me luck!

My "To Do" list tonight:
  1. Spend 15 minutes rescuing that room in the photo
  2. Spend 15 minutes rescuing my kitchen/shining my sink
  3. Wash/dry and lay out school uniforms for kids and an outfit for myself
  4. Watch "The Devil Wears Prada" on Pay per View and finish my January Socktopia sock!

No comments: