Monday, July 27, 2009

In Appreciation of the Yarn Harlot

As a new knitter, I read every knitting book I could get my hands on. I had piles of low-end yarn and plans to make beautiful and spectacular hand-knits that would make me look lovely. I had pattern books and plans to knit gorgeous gifts which would make heirlooms out of the everyday birthday present. I took a knitting class, and made some knitting friends, but out of the group I felt alone in my excitement about yarn and the wooly wonders of knitting.

When I read Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl- McPhee I realized that I was not really alone in my yarn obsession, but I was merely misunderstood by the non-knitters in my world. Stephanie, aka the Yarn Harlot, inspired me to buy nice yarn and dare to knit with it (I believe her quote was "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear..."). She explained sock construction with her Basic Sock Recipe (ravelry link) in such a way that I can know make socks without looking at a pattern (much). When I discovered her blog, it opened up a world of the internet knitting community for me, and let me to other fun and informative knitting blogs.

Although I am not much of a celebrity-following person, I waited in line with around 300 other knitters to get a book signed by Stephanie and she was still gracious and friendly by number 245, who was gushy, tongue-tied, goofy me, and even posed with my unfortunate sock-knitting disaster so I could blog about it.

The "Yarn Harlot" has helped me to knit better and more confidently, and helped me find knitting community which has led to great friendships as well as some nice handknits. She taught me that knitting is also extremely funny (the story of the sweater for her teenage boyfriend), and at times thought-provoking (why golf is a legitimate hobby and knitting is not) and touching (the doula knitting while the mother is in labor.)

I wanted to take a moment to appreciate a knitter with a good blog, who was kind to me even though she didn't know me (and it was nearly midnight) and who writes books which I enjoy a great deal. I hope she continues to do all these things for a long time.

"Let your conversation be always full of grace..."
--Colossians 4:6a

No comments: