Sunday, January 4, 2009

Welcome 2009!

I will admit that I did not enjoy 2008. I will not even go into the reasons why, because almost all of you will have shared some of the same pain as I did in 2008, and I don't want to bring it back up again. That Year is banished to it's island in the Archipelago and we now have a NEW YEAR with new hope and a fresh start.

This year, I am trying a new form of New Year's Resolution. I am not going to vow to lose weight, to clean my house, to stop yelling at the kids or to be a better Nurse. I am hopeful that this year's resolution may lead to those things, though, because my Official Goal for 2009 is to

BE KIND TO MYSELF AND OTHERS.

I'm afraid that might sound rather a no-brainer, now that I've typed it out there for the world, but let me explain. If I am not trying to be perfect (or appear to be perfect) then my stress level will go down. If I have to choose a food, I am going to choose what is the kindest choice for my body...if I have had no water to drink, then Diet Coke is an unkind choice. If I do not have any clean clothes to wear, then doing the laundry is a kind choice. Maintaining a clean and welcoming home is a kind thing to do for my family. Providing motivation through consequences to get the children to do what needs to be done is kind, although raging at them is not. Fixing a situation that my husband is totally capable of handling himself is kinder to him than depriving him of his chance to succeed or excel at something that is "not his department", and will eliminate a huge source of resentment and anxiety for me, which is kind to me. I believe if I can focus on this goal for even half of the time, it will be a better year.

On another note, we have had a busy, but wonderful, Christmas season. I was feeling sorry for myself on Christmas Eve because of my lack of local family members, and late that afternoon planned an impromptu little party for my neighbors and wound up with a happy houseful of about 16 people. I learned on Christmas that large family dinners are great, but this is a lot of fun, too:

That's me and the kids (and hubby behind the camera) getting ready to chow down on Swedish Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes and Green Bean Casserole, followed by an inspiring dessert of Frozen Cherry Pie and Ice Cream. It was low-key, but you know what? The holiday didn't come crashing to a miserable halt because we only had 2 side dishes and store-bought dessert.

After the Holidays, DH's family flew in and we showed them the touristy side of Denver and the Rocky Mountain National Park (which is my most favorite place to go and if you hang around my blog at all you might be tired of it by now, but NOT ME!)




Tomorrow, We will return to our regularly scheduled knitting...I have a couple of projects on the needles, and a few brewing up in my brain. I also just signed up for the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club 2009, so stand by. The children's and husband's Christmas Break has seriously interrupted my knitting time!

Happy New Year!

No comments: