Monday, August 6, 2007

Family Togetherness

After a month without the children (they were visiting grandparents), I have been looking excitedly forward to having them join us in Colorado. With no children present, and considering the fact that I am between jobs and have no assigned sick people to care for, I was beginning to feel as if I could disappear. Saturday, DH flew to Tennessee and turned back around and returned with the 3 kids.

Let me tell you about living with a husband, 3 children and 2 cats in an Extended Stay Hotel. First problem we encountered was that there are no hotel rooms to be had that will house 5 people. So, we have to rent 2 rooms. This is, ahem, quite frustrating for DH and I, since we have been child-free and enjoying it for the last month and now have to split up-- the boys in one room, girls in the other. During the day, while DH is at work, the rest of us are primarily in one room, which is a chorus of "Mo-om! He/She is your favorite verb here - ing me". Poor DH basically walked in tonight and I greeted him with "Honey, you have to take them somewhere!"

Add the fact that we have 5 people, 2 rooms and only 4 keys. This means that every 6 minutes during waking hours someone needs an item from the room which we are not in, does not have the key and must knock on the door to be let in. Usually, this occurs when I am using the restroom or have just that second taken a seat for some reason, like to knit.

The absolute most fun has been cooking. I have 2 burners, a microwave, and a crockpot. Luckily, we do have a full sized refrigerator. The cookware which came in the kitchen is sized for 2, so everything must be cooked in 2 or 3 batches. There is a lesson that God is teaching me in all this, but I'm not certain what it is yet.

This is surely an adventure that will go down forever in our family history book...

No comments: